When and What happened? – History of COVID-19
Mar. 20, 2020
Global Korean Post
Those who are infected with COVID-19 may have little to no symptoms. You may not know you have symptoms of COVID-19 because they are similar to a cold or flu.
Symptoms may take up to 14 days to appear after exposure to COVID-19. This is the longest known infectious period for this disease. We are currently investigating if the virus can be transmitted to others if someone is not showing symptoms. While experts believe that it is possible, it is considered less common.
On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) assessed COVID-19 as a pandemic.
This assessment by the WHO is not unexpected. Describing the situation as a pandemic does not change the WHO’s assessment of the threat posed by COVID-19 and it does not change what the WHO is doing.
Looking at the historical time in Canada since the beginning of COVID-19:
- On March 11, 2020, the World Health Organization declares the global outbreak of COVID-19 a pandemic.
- On March 9, 2020, Canada confirms its first death related to COVID-19.
- On February 20, 2020, Canada confirms its first case related to travel outside mainland China.
- On February 9, 2020, Canada expands COVID-19 screening requirements for travellers returning from affected areas to 10 airports across 6 provinces.
- On January 30, 2020, the World Health Organization declares the outbreak of COVID-19 a public health event of international concern.
- On January 25, 2020, Canada confirms its first case of COVID-19 related to travel in Wuhan, China.
- On January 22, 2020, Canada implements screening requirements related to COVID-19 for travellers returning from China to major airports in Montréal, Toronto and Vancouver.
- On January 15, 2020, the Public Health Agency of Canada activates the Emergency Operation Centre to support Canada’s response to COVID-19.
- On January 7, 2020, China confirmed COVID-19.
- On December 31, 2019, the World Health Organization was alerted to several cases of pneumonia in Wuhan, China. The virus did not match any other known virus.
By Global Korean Post