Foreign workers from 16 new occupations now eligible for permanent residence
Nov. 18, 2022
Global Korean Post
The Government of Canada is working to welcome newcomers who bring the skills our economy needs to help address acute labour shortages across the country.
The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is the national reference for occupations in Canada. It provides a systematic classification structure that categorizes the entire range of occupational activity in Canada for collecting, analyzing, and disseminating occupational data for labour market information and employment-related program administration.
Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Nov. 16, announced the implementation of the National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2021 for immigration programs managed under the Express Entry system.
Using the new NOC categories will allow Canada to bring in global talent in high-demand sectors like health care, construction, and transportation.
The NOC system is used to track and categorize all jobs in the Canadian labour market and is updated to reflect changes in the economy and in the nature of work.
The changes to the NOC system support the Minister’s commitment to expand pathways to permanent residency for temporary workers and international students, as more jobs will become eligible for the programs managed under Express Entry.
Through this update, 16 occupations that were not previously eligible can now benefit from expanded pathways to permanent residency.
Employment and Social Development Canada and Statistics Canada work together to update the NOC on an ongoing basis, with major reviews occurring every 10 years, to ensure it reflects the changing labour market.
The review involves in-depth research, analysis, and assessment of the feedback received through consultations and occupational research. Input from the public and stakeholders is an integral part of the review process.
Foreign nationals with work experience in the following 16 occupations are now eligible to apply through Express Entry:
- payroll administrators
- dental assistants and dental laboratory assistants
- nurse aides, orderlies and patient service associates
- pharmacy technical assistants and pharmacy assistants
- elementary and secondary school teacher assistants
- sheriffs and bailiffs
- correctional service officers
- by-law enforcement and other regulatory officers
- estheticians, electrologists and related occupations
- residential and commercial installers and servicers
- pest controllers and fumigators
- other repairers and servicers
- transport truck drivers
- bus drivers, subway operators and other transit operators
- heavy equipment operators
- aircraft assemblers and aircraft assembly inspectors