Provincial Offences Act courtrooms to temporarily close throughout Toronto
Mar. 20, 2020
Global Korean Post
All Provincial Offences Act (POA) courtrooms located in Toronto are being closed from March 16 to April 3.
Provincial Offences Act matters will be adjourned without the individual being present and rescheduled to a later date, as per an order by Chief Justice of Ontario.
Individuals who were expected to appear in court are not required to attend and will be notified of new court dates. A notice of the new court date will be sent by mail to the address on file with the court.
At this time, court offices including public service counters remain open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. excluding holidays. Locations include:
• 2700 Eglinton Avenue W.
• 1530 Markham Rd.
• 137 Edward St., 2nd floor
• Old City Hall, 60 Queen St. W., lower level.
The 30 POA courtrooms across Toronto hear all provincial offences matters as well as offences against municipal bylaws, including:• Highway Traffic Act charges such as speeding or traffic violations;
• Municipal bylaw charges relating to business licensing, excessive noise, animal control or garbage disposal; and
• Charges laid under provincial legislation such as the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, Building Code Act, Environmental Protection Act and Occupational Health and Safety Act.
All legislative timelines for tickets that have not expired prior to March 15, 2020 have been extended.
City of Toronto Prosecution offices remain open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Requests for disclosure should to be sent by fax to the following:
- 60 Queen Street W: 416-338-6986
- 2700 Eglinton Ave: 416-338-7322
- 1530 Markham Rd: 416-338-7703
The Administrative Penalty System (APS) In-Person screening office at Metro Hall is temporarily closed. The APS in-person screening office located at North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge St. is open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Due to increased wait times, residents are encouraged to use the online Request for Screening review at toronto.ca/aps.