How to protect yourself from the novel coronavirus
Feb. 29, 2020
Global Korean Post
Coronaviruses(COVID-19) are a large family of viruses that circulate in animals including humans and may cause illness in them.
Human coronaviruses are common and can range from mild illnesses such as the common cold, to severe illnesses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (SARS CoV) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS CoV).
A novel coronavirus causing pneumonia has been detected in Wuhan, China. Symptoms range from common to severe respiratory illnesses and include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Pneumonia, kidney failure and death in severe cases
There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to this virus. Prevention measures include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill
- Stay home when you are ill
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then immediately throw the tissue in the garbage and wash your hands
- If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces